The aim of the programme is to help 4-5 year old children, who are attending kindergarten, to develop skills that will support them as they transition to school
The programme has been operating successfully in conjunction with South Canterbury Kindergartens, Timaru South School and Oceanview Heights School for many years. In 2009 Bluestone School joined the programme.
A registered teacher, Sarah Moffat, takes four groups of four students from all the schools involved, to either Ranui, Hanan, West End or Kowhai Kindergartens, three times a fortnight. The same school buddy is partnered with the same kindergarten buddy for a school term.
Some of the main goals of the programme are:
- to support social development through mixed aged peer modelling;
- to develop pro-social behaviours to support interactions with peers;
- to experience a positive transition to school;
- for parents / whanau to become more familiar with the transition into schools;
- for the school buddies to increase in confidence, empathy and leadership skills.
The programme also helps to develop connections and relationships between the schools and kindergartens involved.
Enjoy South School students interacting with their Hanan Kindergarten buddies.