South Canterbury Kindergartens are open to all children. SCK philosophy:
- places children first
- endorses the importance of providing quality early childhood education
- recognises the importance of working in collaborative partnership with parents, whanau and communities
Kindergarten is the foundation for providing children with the opportunity to:
- flourish as competent, confident learners and communicators
- develop knowledge and understanding of the cultural heritages of the partners to the Treaty of Waitangi
Environments will be caring, friendly and supportive, reflecting individual and cultural diversity while offering enjoyable, stimulating and meaningful educational learning programmes through the implementation of the mandated national early childhood education curriculum, Te Whariki.
Sound governance and management practices underpin the not-for-profit status of the organisation. SCK will:
- employ qualified, registered teachers in regulated ratios
- provide a flexible service that is equitable, culturally sensitive and meets the differing needs of communities
For children to grow as competent and confident learners and communicators, healthy in mind, body and spirit, secure in their sense of belonging and in the knowledge that they make a valued contribution to society. (Te Whariki 1996, p.9)
To provide quality early childhood education that meets the needs and aspirations of parents and whanau through a robust organisation that strives for excellence and is responsive to change and innovation which promotes kindergarten as first choice early childhood education in South Canterbury.