Governance, Management and Leadership
South Canterbury Kindergartens benefits from the effective governance and management systems now in place at association level. The management team’s strategic work is based on the three areas of ‘Strategic Intent’ used by New Zealand Kindergartens. These are:
- Best Practice – excellence and innovation
- Growth and Diversity – partnership and participation
- Organisational Robustness – sustainability and viability.
From these three areas South Canterbury Kindergartens has developed nine long-term strategic goals, all of which are primarly focused on ensuring there is high quality teaching, learning and leadership undertaken in a collaborative, reflective culture of development.
The Governing Board is elected at the AGM each year, and is responsible for the governance of the Association. The Board is the employing body of all the Association’s staff. The General Manager is employed to manage the Association on behalf of the Board.
The General Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Association and is the licensee of kindergartens.
The Senior Teachers have responsibility for managing the professional support and development of the teachers and teacher aides within the Association.
Dave Hawkey (General Manager)
Gavin Spence (Chair & Finance)
Christine Crosbie (Vice Chair)
Vanessa Fleming (Teacher Representative)
Senior Teachers Tracey Nelson and Angela O’Connor
South Canterbury Kindergartens is a member of New Zealand Kindergartens Inc., and is committed to upholding the vision of the national organisation:
- Every child has a right to participate in high quality early childhood education
- Kindergartens are seen as centres of excellence and innovation for early childhood education
- NZKI’s goals are best achieved through collaborative relationships at all levels
- Kindergarten is responsive to the cultural and language aspirations of families